Carpets are essential in ways more than you can think of. Not only do these amazing things add a certain beauty to your house but they also help to keep the room warmer than usual. A great cushioning underlay in your carpet is a pretty good factor for lengthening the durability of your carpet.
And not to mention the soft feeling that you have when you walk on the carpet. Also, an underlay offers more insulation to the floor. Get yourself a high-quality carpet like the woven-backed ones or the Hessian ones that will be a good addition to the beauty of your house.
The carpets mentioned are foam-backed, and you have to stretch and attach them to the gripper to fit them.
To install a carpet isn’t rocket science, to be honest, but it is a bit challenging for some due to the size of the different rolls. Also, if the area is limited then fitting the carpet can be a bit of a problem. Special care must be taken if you wish to install a carpet efficiently. We are here to provide you with some detailed information on how to install a carpet efficiently.
Some interesting facts about carpets and carpet installation
- The norovirus can stay alive in an uncleaned carpet for more than a month
- Pazyryk carpet is the oldest surviving carpet which is 2000 years’ old
- Several pounds of soil can accumulate in a year in and on a carpet
- 1.5 million skin flakes are shed on a carpet every hour, and all these flakes get embedded in the carpet
- The toxic element used in carpet cleaners can alleviate an ailment called Kawasaki Syndrome
Steps That You Need To Follow
Here are some steps that you need to follow for installing a carpet:
- First of all, you need to determine the area of your room where the carpet will be installed. Having the right measurements surely help when it comes to laying a carpet.
- You need to make sure that the surface on which the laying will happen is all clean and smooth. Make sure that there are no paint or joint compounds on the surface. Vacuum if you have to.
- Doors are sometimes an obstruction in case of carpet layering, so it is advised that you try and remove all the doors that are in the room. Working on the doors is a very challenging, so it will be easier that way if the doors are removed.
- The first step for carpet installation would be to attach the Tackless strips on the floor from the wall to the limits of the room. Make sure that you have the right size and cut the strips if necessary. You don’t want them to poke you right?
- The next step would be to lay the carpet pad out. The direction of the carpet pad should be perpendicular to the direction in which the carpet should be installed.
- Staple the pad seams and make sure that they are not stapled beside one another. Stretch to ensure the tight fitting of the pieces.
- You need to trim the padding before anything else takes place. Feel around the pad to determine the position of the tackless strip and cut the surrounding areas to expose the tacks.
- This step requires a helper. Take your carpet outside and notch the back. Make sure that you do it on both sides to maintain an appropriate length.
- Trimming the carpet is a very important step in the process. You need to roll the carpet to show the notched portions and cut along notch to notch.
- If there is any excess left, cut it with a utility knife. Roll the carpet in the room again and check for any errors.
- You need to make sure that the carpet edges are joined and in that place, you will be creating a seam which is straight.
- The next step in the process is dry-fitting the carpet to the floor, where one end is butted against the wall. You need to use a utility knife to cut the carpet to a perfect fit.
- Fit the carpet edge to the tackless strip using an efficient knee kicker.
- You need to use a wall trimmer to trim off the excess carpet that is resting against the wall.
- Stretching the carpet and attaching the strips is the next step and for that, you will require a power stretcher.
- Binder bars are important in areas where the carpet does not reach the wall. You need to stretch the carpet by using a knee kicker and attach it to the binder bar hooks.
- Trim the vent openings to add a finishing touch to the carpet layering.
Installing a carpet is pretty easy when you follow these steps. Makes sure that you don’t miss anything. You wouldn’t want to compromise in the beauty of your room now, would you?