In the modern world, plumbing breakdown is a real disaster. We cannot imagine living without a sink, bath or toilet. It is not surprising that as soon as something breaks, we panic and grab our mobile phone and search for the plumber’s contacts. But you can avoid spending a lot of money if you know how to prevent problems with the bathroom.
If the toilet is clogged, the last thing you want to do is laugh. Meanwhile, you can deal with some problems without professional help. Although, it is better to keep the number of a plumber at hand, just in case. You can find a good Plumber in Chicago here if you need a professional.
1. Replacing the hose of the washing machine
It is a surprisingly simple procedure that does not take too long. You can buy a new hose anywhere, but first, you need to read the instructions written in the manual. Yes, we know that almost no one ever reads them, but everything is there. If you have thrown your manual away, fill in the brand name and model in the browser search engine and get a new copy.
2. Draining oil and grease into the sink
Just remember once and for all — don’t do this. Fat does not dissolve in water but settles on the pipe walls. Fat balls are gradually and inexorably increasing, so sooner or later, you will face blockage, which will not be easy to remove.
If you need to get rid of old oil from the pan, it is better to blot it with a paper towel and throw it away and rinse the remaining fat from the walls with hot water and plenty of detergents or baking soda.
3. Bath bombs
They look great and smell even better, but they harm the pipes. They usually contain glitter, petals and salts, which lead to blockage in pipes. So, put the bomb in a nylon bag before use, or even switch to safer options for your bath.
4. Boiling water in a plastic pipe
Boiling water destroys plastic pipes. If you drained the boiling water from the pasta once, maybe it won’t damage the pipe right away. But if you do this constantly, get ready to change them quite often. It is better to turn on cold water while draining the boiling water or to pour hot water into a separate saucepan.
5. Clearing a blockage in the toilet with a film
A cling film is a great alternative to a plunger.
- Attach the film to the edge of the toilet.
- Cover the top of the toilet with several layers of film.
- Press the flush button. The film should bubble up.
- Finally, push the film down. It will create pressure inside the bowl, and your drain should be clean.
6. Preheating the bath
The bath is usually cold, and the water is hot. It makes sense to pour a small amount of water for a start – walls will warm up, and only then you can fill the tube with water. So, an enamel bath will last much longer.
7. Chemical removal of the blockage in the pipe
Before grabbing your phone or running to the store for special equipment, try this old method. Pour half glass of soda and then half glass of vinegar into the drain. Wait an hour, then rinse the pipe with water. Repeat, if necessary.
8. Do not pour coffee grounds into the sink
One of the main incomes of plumbers is cleaning the drain in kitchen sinks after coffee grounds. The fact is that coffee grounds, along with fat, are an excellent means for clogging up sinks. Over time, the remains of your favorite drink settle on the pipes. The growth gradually increases and blocks the passage. Actually, people can throw in drain incredible things — you can read about it here.
9. Cleaning washing machine and dishwasher
They also need to be washed, oddly enough — from the inside, and not just outside. Once a quarter, it is worth running a long cycle of washing or washing in an empty machine with detergent – you can use baking soda, citric acid or vinegar.
10. Repair chips
Chips on the bathroom and sink are very unpleasant. Get rid of them right away — not only do the chips give the plumbing an untidy look, but they also provoke the appearance of rust. You can do it quite simply — there are repair kits in stores with instructions.
11. Do not throw wet wipes down the toilet!
The fibers in wet wipes are thicker than toilet paper and do not dissolve in water.
12. No aromatic tablets, cubes, replaceable blocks, toilet magnets in the bowl!
All this can disturb the flushing of water and leads to toilet breakage.
13. You must know where and how to turn off the water.
In case if suddenly there is any breakdown in the water supply system inside the apartment.
14. The taps that shut off the water supply must be in good order.
Do not be too lazy to replace these taps with new ones, so that the consequences of a tiny breakdown do not have catastrophic for your home.
15. The biggest problem for a shower, bath or sink is the hair.
They can clog the drain, and this mass rots in the pipe leading to blockage. Remove hair in advance to avoid big problems.
16. There are works that only a professional can do.
And if the need arises, call a plumber, talk with him about payment in advance, preferably for all work, not for an hour.
17. The more water drips from a closed tap, the more damage it can do.
Accordingly, it will make the problem more expensive for you. So don’t wait too long to call a plumber.
18. Try to remove food residues from plates as much as possible before washing.
It is especially true for cereals and flour products. When mixing with water, food particles begin to swell, blocking pipes.
19. After finishing washing, be sure to turn off the tap.
You can save water and money and also protect your water appliances – they wear out faster when in use.
20. Do not wash dishes with cold water only.
If the hot water is off, warm up some amount in a kettle or saucepan. Warm water prevents the accumulation of fat on the siphon. Fat collects dirt particles and fragments, which ultimately will lead to a blockage.
Some extra tips
Also, to make your appliances work longer, consider following these tips:
- Most cleaning products contain abrasives. Such products are not intended for daily cleaning, as they gradually destroy the coating.
- Clean faucets periodically, remove scum from them.
- You can assure the sufficient operation of sinks rinsing siphons regularly with 3-4 liters of hot water (boiling water is only suitable for cast-iron models).
- To avoid clogging the siphon, cover the drain hole of the sinks with a metal or plastic mesh.
- Do not flush chemically aggressive substances (for example, acetone, etc.) into the toilet, bathtub and washbasins, which will adversely affect the state of the sewer pipes.
Now you have learned 20+ secrets that will help you avoid plumbing problems and unnecessary spending on calling a plumber. All of the above methods will help you keep plumbing equipment in proper condition and extend its service life. But remember, if you have a really big problem, you should immediately call a professional, not to make things worse.