Retaining walls are certainly very essential and an important part that makes your landscape look better. Apart from creating a classy and amazing visual effect, these structures are mostly necessary for controlling the effects of drainage these help to control and direct the water flow. This can be a great help in case of sloppy areas that are very much prone to the erosion from water. Plus the retaining walls help to keep the structure of your yard safe.
When anyone thinks of installing a retaining wall, it is certainly a very good idea to level out the area. Retaining walls have the efficiency for creating additional spaces so that you can use it for other purposes, such as a playground or a patio or pretty much anything else you like. Want to create a level space in your yard? Well, a retaining wall is your best bet.
Not to mention the decorative ability of the retaining walls, they not only provide an element of charm to your landscape but they also add a different and elegant touch to the landscape. Once you are done installing a retaining wall, you will see that the structure looks extremely beautiful.
Steps to Follow
Building a retaining wall isn’t as hard as it seems. Anyone can build a retaining wall with the help of the right tools and techniques. While some people consider taking professional help, there are some that believe in doing the deed themselves. For them, here are a few steps that’ll help them achieve their goals of an efficient building of the retaining wall.
Prepping The Building Site
- You need to make a plan of the site first. The planning for the placement of the retaining wall should be done Use stakes and strings and tape if required to take the measurements. Clean up the area first and make sure that you don’t have any cables or pipes below the site.
- Make sure you excavate properly. A leveled trench needs to be dug along the laid outline. The trench should be wider in size than the size of the blocks to be used.
- Laying down the paver base is the next. A patio paver base should be added to the bottom side of the trench. The soil level must be tamped by using a soil tamper.
- The foundation blocks are the most important and critical addition to the wall. Make sure that they are levelled properly the support of the retaining wall.
- You can add crushed rock or gravel to level the stone in the side of the wall that is visible. Use a cornerstone to add the first block. In case of rectangular or straight retaining wall, the backs of the different blocks need to be perfectly aligned. In case of a circular one, the front of the blocks needs to be perfectly aligned.
- Cutting the tongue of the stones in the base is the next step. Most of the builders cut off the top part of the tongue while some don’t. Make sure you use a chisel and hammer if required.
- Levelling of the blocks in the first layer can be done by a rubber mallet or coarse sand. This is supposed to complete the foundation.
- Complete the laying of the first batch by cutting the blocks according to your requirement. Use safety measure while cutting.
- Use gravel or crushed stones for filling the back of the blocks in the first layer. By doing that you can ensure the protection of the structure from erosion.
- For the prevention of frost heave and the mixing of the soil with the backfill, place a protection of filter fabric on the backfill.
- Clean the first layer of the blocks by sweeping any dirt or dust particles if present.
Completion Of The Wall
- Start the second layering in a manner that the seams of the top layer are offset with that of the bottom layer ones. Use adhesive to stick the second layer and press tightly to ensure that the layers are tightly secured. Continue the process till you reach the required height.
- Adding the drainage pipes is the next step. Drain the water out of the pipe and connect the middle of the wall t the pipe.
- Adding the topper stones additional. They are an additional effort, so most people just skip them.
- To fill the basin of the retaining wall, add topsoil, vines, flowers, and plants.
Make sure you follow these steps carefully. Your beautiful retaining wall will be ready to use in no time.