Usually, if you find mold, it’s a sign you need to throw out the week-old grapes or two-day-old sandwich hiding in the back of the refrigerator. However, there is some household mold that’s extremely dangerous.
Some mold species produce something called mycotoxin. This can cause several issues, including respiratory problems, headaches, and sometimes, permanent neurological damage. Less severe, but equally aggravating symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, and bad smells in the home.
While not all mold in your home is going to be in obvious locations, there are some signs you can look for to know when it is time to take action. Keep reading to learn what some of the most subtle signs of mold are here.
Learn the subtle clues that mold is present
Heating System or Air Conditioner Smells Bad or Odd
A subtle sign of mold in your home is if you notice a bad smell coming from your heating system or your air conditioner. A standalone air conditioner, specifically, is a prime location for mold to develop and grow. This is a dark, damp area that’s exposed to warm temperatures when it’s not being used.
Also, if you put your standalone unit in a basement or even a closet during the colder months of the year, it can increase the likelihood of mold growing inside of it. The best way to keep mold from growing in your cooling or heating system is to have them checked regularly by an HVAC specialist.
You Live in a Modern Home
This may sound weird, but modern homes are known for harboring mold. Unlike the old, drafty stone homes, today’s homes are built so tightly that damp and water usually accumulate when it occurs inside, rather than being vented naturally. Also, modern appliances, such as dryers and dishwashers can generate heat and moisture, which are the two ingredients needed for a healthy fungal colony.
You’ll find mold in many unusual places, such as the bathroom cabinets, subflooring, and more. If you ever notice these problems calling from help or mold removal in your subfloor by the professionals is a good idea.
Your Seasonal Allergies Never Seem to Go Away
If you suffer from seasonal allergies that are dragging on, it may be that mold is to blame for your sniffles. Some of the symptoms related to mold exposure are similar to seasonal allergies or they can worsen your existing allergies. If you notice your symptoms get better during the day, when you are at work before they get worse when you return home, this could be a clue to the cause of your issues.
Mold can hide in many odd places around the house
You are Constantly Itchy
The majority of people understand that mold can grow in their basement, but what they don’t realize is that it can also infest their clothing. This is especially true for damp clothing.
If you tend to leave your wet towel on the floor, or if it is drying on a laundry rack inside the mold growth that develops on the fibers (which is extremely likely) can be irritating your skin. You can prevent this by always drying your wet clothing rather than letting it pile up on the bathroom floor.
Dark Spots on the Walls
Mold occurs in many colors, textures, and shapes. It may look like a grey, fuzzy blob to green slime. There are no hard and fast rules that apply to mold in your home. If your walls have started to come out in certain areas, it’s a good idea to double-check that your pipes aren’t leaking or that there is too much humidity in the space.
The Wallpaper is Peeling
While some scruffiness and discoloration are eventually going to impact your wallpaper, if you notice any surface or peeling abnormalities, such as cracking or bubbling, it’s a sign that moisture is present in the wall. You can bet, if there’s moisture, the likelihood of mold is high, too.
Make sure to keep an eye on your walls and determine the cause for any areas that look warped or that feel damp.
Dark Grout in the Shower
While the issue is likely mold, there is good news – it is probably the harmless type. However, if you had a leak in your bathroom recently, or if there was flooding to an adjacent room, then you may have to deal with a much more toxic type of fungus that needs to be addressed by the professionals. It’s best to take a sample and send it off for testing to know for sure what you are dealing with.
Are You Dealing with Mold?
If you have any of the issues described above in your home, it’s best to consult with a professional mold removal company. They can assess the situation, determine the problem, and make the necessary repairs. This is going to help ensure the issue is fixed and that it does not return.