Do you think that designing and creating beautiful looking yet highly functional pergolas is just a distant dream? In truth, it is easier than you think! If you do not have any woodworking experience prior to undertaking such a project, do not fret. Anybody can do it provided he or she have the knowledge regarding the appropriate procedure and make the best use of available resources. When it comes to construction of outdoor pergola wood is a practical and flexible choice.
So, what do people construct the pergolas?
• Add shaded walkway
• Link pavilions
• Create sitting areas
Pergolas allows sunlight and breeze to filter through them giving you the fantastic experience of staying outdoors while remaining protected from the harsh glare of the sun. Such structures add to your comfort level and even increase the resale value of your house. Nowadays, in keeping with the requirements of people numerous styles and designs are available. Traditionally, people constructed pergolas for comfort and beauty but today the emphasis is more on protection from the elements as UV radiation, snow, rain.
There can be two basic types to choose from when it comes to such structures.
The ATTACHED TYPES no wonder are easy to build and you can construct them alongside your building, your garage, or other existing structures as well. No wonder, this kind of construction requires few plans, less resources, quick work, and less money. Do you have an existing deck in your house? Constructing your pergola now becomes surprisingly easy! Use it as a foundation to base the primary post. Attach the top of the construction to your house with the help of a sturdy board like construction- the LEDGER.
STAND-ALONE PERGOLAS on the other hand as the name suggests do not require an external support to keep them upright. These have a strong base and remain separate from the main building. For your patio or backyard, this could be a spectacular addition! Make sure that you secure the foundation strongly to prevent it from being blown over during storm or gales. In order to create footing related to such constructions you need to dig at least four different holes and secure the bases of the posts using concrete. This will create an effective footing for your final structure.
It is possible to distinguish the different types of pergolas further based on the structure of the roof. This includes the following.
1. Metal: Adjust the metal roofed pergola as needed. It mostly uses tin, copper, or aluminium and these being sturdy offer good protection from the elements outside. However, being insulated metal pergolas can make temperatures inside to soar.
2. Polycarbonate: These are impact and heat resistant offering toughness and ease of shaping.
3. Plastic/fiberglass: Inexpensive and lightweight, these materials are ideal for pergola construction. These are cost-effective too.
4. Fabric: People love using fabric for pergola roofing because they are colorful to look at and can perk up your outdoors.
5. Wood: Wood is the natural choice for outdoors and as such, many people go for it with high regularity. When it comes to DIY projects timber lends itself easily to the saw, nails, and a hammer for constructing the desired shapes and sizes. You need to do a bit of sawing, cutting, with sand papering and voila, your superb structure is finished in no time!
Timber pergolas as well as other types can effectively add to your outdoors and give your family or guests the PERFECT place to enjoy the TIME OUT! So are you ready to invest your time and money for this highly useful addition to your house?
Author Bio: Adam Bak is the author of this article. He is an expert at writing on Pergolas Adelaide. He has written many articles on Adelaide Timber pergolas and recommends you to look for attractive pergola designs online.