The most common active ingredient in pesticide kills insects by attacking their nervous system, which causes them to slowly lose bodily functions until they inevitably die of organ failure. Although these poisons come in a low dosage designed to harm only insects, they can still be very dangerous if you do not take the proper precautions. Like most things in life, some people could have adverse reactions to the chemicals being used. To avoid hazardous exposure, you need to understand the effects of the pesticide on people with preexisting medical conditions, small children & pregnant women, and healthy adults. If you are considering having your home sprayed with pesticides click this link to connect with a professional about safety precautions.
If you are one of the 23 million people in our country with asthma you should take the necessary precautions to ensure your lungs remain healthy after spraying pesticide in your home. These chemicals can severely irritate your lungs causing your airways to contract. It is important to wait at least 3 hours before you go into your home to allow the pesticide to dry, and limit your exposure. You should have a healthy friend or family member be the first to enter the home and open all the windows and doors to air out the house. Give your home an hour, or two, to air out and reduce your risk of negative side effects from the chemicals. If you have a severe respiratory disease you should speak with your exterminator about additional precautions to ensure your safety.
Women in their first trimester of pregnancy have the greatest risk of experiencing negative side effects from pesticides. During the first trimester of a pregnancy, an embryo develops the nervous system which controls the bodily functions of the young fetus. It’s incredibly important that mothers protect their child during this stage of development and keep them away from pesticides that specifically target the nervous system. Small children and pets also have a high exposure rate compared to adults, because they are closer to areas that get sprayed. You should consult with a professional if you have small children and are considering using pesticide in your home.
Pesticides pose a minor threat to the health of an adult. It is still important to take proper precautions so you are not needlessly exposed to dangerous chemicals. Your exterminator will give you instructions on how long you should stay out of your home, and the proper duration it to air out the house. You need to know where your exterminator has placed poison pellets around your home, and when to throw them away. The exterminator will give you instructions about how long to wait before cleaning areas affected by the poison. Many pesticides leave a residual layer that last for up to 3 months and cleaning products can reduce the effectiveness of the poison. The most important lesson to stay safe is know what’s being sprayed in your home, and how to limit your exposure.