We all know our real estate market is not the best. Many people that are new to selling their home do not realize that they can save a lot of money by selling their own home instead of through an agency. Currently, buyers take advantage of the bad market, because real estate agents price the home lower to be able to sell quickly so that they make their profit. Keep reading to find out what it takes to sell your home without an agent.
WHAT TO DO
Do not forget those items you always forget! Buyers will look at these at your showing to see how kept up you keep your home.
Make your space spacious.
- Clear out your junk items in your closet, basement/storage area
- Move furniture around to make the area look bigger
2) Have your home evaluated
Be realistic with your price. Several people think their house is worth more than it is, and that is why they do not sell quickly.
Do not rely on your property tax assessment. Many assessments are out of date and do not reflect our current real estate market.
Hire an appraiser. Appraisers cost less than real estate agents do, and their estimated value on your home is usually more accurate.
3) Be aware of neighborhood “oopsies” that will decrease the value of your home.
- Other houses in your neighborhood or on your street that have been foreclosed or sold on a short sale.
4) Have your home inspected right away!
You may have to make unexpected repairs before selling!
- Water damage
5) Know what your “selling points” are.
Write a list of your selling points that will make your home stand out.
- School district
- Recent neighborhood renovations
- Energy- saving windows
- New installation
- New appliances
Put this list in your ad in addition to talking about these to buyers during your showing.
6) Time it right
Studies show that people move more often during the summer than any other season.
- If they have kids, they do not have to change schools
- Do not have to move in cold weather
7) Market your house
- “For Sale By Owner” sign in your front yard, and around your neighborhood
- Online websites such as Craigslist, or Facebook
- Put an ad in your local newspaper
- Put up fliers at stop signs and stop lights
- Talk to your friends and family. “Word of the mouth” is what makes things sell. The word will get around! This is something real estate agents do not tend to do.
8) Be a good host!
Know how to show your home in a manner than will get people’s attention as well as their respect.
- Set a peaceful mood during your showing
- Set the temperature around 70 to 75 to make people feel warm, but not hot.
- Be honest about flaws or things you have not been able to fix
- Do not rush your guests into each room. Instead, casually lead them, or let them lead themselves. This makes people feel relaxed and comfortable.
Guest author Denis is an experienced real estate blogger. He likes to help people through his articles.