Why Black Mold Is So Dangerous

As you may well have heard, black mold is really dangerous for both humans and animals. However, you may not know why exactly. This article lists both the risks of black mold infestation in your home, as well as the consequences of this kind of infestation.

If you have black mold problems, you should not try to get rid on your own, but rather contact mold removal specialists like Emergency Home Solutions. The proper way of removing black mold requires specialized equipment, as well as removing the underlying source of the infestation, which is most likely a water leak.

\

What Does It Look Like?

Black mold infestation is, well, black. However, it can be easily distinguished from anything else by the slimy quality of the mass. However, if the environment becomes hostile to the mold, it can dry out and wait for suitable conditions to return. Even when inactive, the black mold is still a problem and should be removed as soon as possible.

Where Does It Grow?

There are spores of various fungi, including toxic black mold in the air all around us. It’s just a part of the air we breathe. However, if the black mold finds a suitable place to start growing, that’s when problems really start. For black mold, a suitable environment is a dark, wet place where it can grow unnoticed and unbothered.

The most common places in our homes that suit this description include the bottom or the back side of your kitchen and bathroom sink or your toilet. However, there are instances of mold forming in the HVAC systems or inside your drywalls, where they are really hard to locate and eradicate.

However, black mold infestation is often associated with water damages and the fallout from this unfortunate event. If water damage is not treated quickly and effectively, it can lead to a lot of problems, including the growth of black mold.

Why Is It So Toxic?

There are various kinds of molds, in fact, more than 100,000 species have been recognized and described. The vast majority of these are relatively harmless to people and animals, except to those who suffer from allergies and breathing disorders like asthma. However, there are some that have a really negative impact on our health.

The most toxic of all molds is the black mold or Stachybotrys chartarum as it is known in science. This species aggravates our health not only as an allergen, but also through the toxins it secretes. These toxins, called mycotoxins, can affect the human health when ingested, through contact with the skin and eyes, and most commonly when inhaled.

What Are the Most Common Symptoms?

The symptoms of black mold infestation may not be so easy to discern and recognize because they are fairly broad and common. However, if you cannot find the cause of your symptoms, you may have a black mold problem. A frequent or constant sore throat is one of the first indications that something is wrong, as spores are irritants to the respiratory system. Spores can be the cause of frequent eye redness and irritation that is not diagnosed.

The longer the exposure to the mycotoxins can also result in numerous health complications, particularly to those who are immunocompromised, so you should take extra precautions if you or your family members fall into this category.

What’s The Solution?

Trying to remove black mold is not a good idea. If you disrupt the mold growth, it will release a lot of spores, which will only worsen your symptoms. Instead, contact professional mold removers. These people have both the skill and the necessary equipment to deal with this problem effectively and permanently.

Erin Emanuel